Tamarind Spice Cookies
Despite the gentle onset of summer at The Spring Cottage, Thanksgiving put me in the mood for the warming spiced sweets associated with harvest time. Unable to shake my craving, these tamarind spice cookies perfectly combine bold, rich autumnal flavours with the brightness and zing of locally produced ginger and tamarind. It's a sophisticated little ying-yang cookie, and has officially ousted these as my new favourite.
Tamarind Spice Cookie Recipe
1/2 cup soft butter 1 cup brown sugar a thumb sized dollop of tamarind paste 1 egg 3 tsp ground ginger 2 tsp ground cinnamon a pinch of ground nutmeg 3/4 cup chopped glacé ginger 2 cups flour (or a gluten-free mix) 3/4 tsp baking soda
1. In a large bowl, beat together the butter, sugar, tamarind, and egg.
2. Add in the ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and glacé ginger.
3. Stir in the flour and baking soda.
4. Scoop small balls from the mixture (about the size of an unshelled walnut) and roll each one between your hands to smooth. Place about 5cm apart on a tray lined with baking paper and press down to flatten.
5. Bake in batches at 170C (335F) for about 15 minutes.